January 25, 2021 — High school seniors, it’s never too early to start planning for your future! You can get started right now by working on your application for the 2021 Texas NAHRO Scholarship, sponsored by the Texas Chapter of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (TXNAHRO). As a new addition this year, your selfie video skills will even come in to play.
Each year, the organization grants the $2,500 Jim Hargrove Scholarship as well as several $1,000 scholarships to high school seniors in North Texas whose families receive housing assistance. Applications are due in mid-February.
If you’re currently a high school senior who’s planning to continue your education after graduation this spring at a four-year college or university, community college or vocational or technical school, then DHA, Housing Solutions for North Texas would like to help you apply.
Chyrel Roseborough, Education Coordinator for DHA, Housing Solutions for North Texas, encourages qualified students to apply for all scholarship opportunities.
“DHA and the Opportunity Rising Foundation are here to support you every step of the way as you prepare to embark on an important time in your life,” Roseborough says. “Education is the key to success for us all, and every scholarship offers the opportunity to get closer to achieving your goals.”
Qualifications for the scholarship include:
- Be a resident of public housing or a participant in the Section 8 program in which you are living.
- Be a graduating high school senior. (You cannot have graduated in the previous year or be in college already for this scholarship. It is intended to help high school seniors get started immediately in college).
- Demonstrate exceptional school attendance.
- Demonstrate high academic achievement.
- Demonstrate leadership and/or high level of motivation.
- Be a resident of a Housing Authority such as DHA or Community Development (CD) agency that is a member of TXNAHRO.
New this year, the application includes a video of three minutes or less describing your short- and long-term goals in life, why you are pursuing your particular college degree or vocational training program and an achievement or an event in your life that has been especially significant.
Roseborough recommends that students take their time, and review the requirements and application, ensuring that you have all of the required documents. It’s also a great idea to have someone listen and edit your video if needed.
- Housing Agency Certification signed by the Executive Director of the housing agency in which you reside. Roseborough will provide for DHA families.
- Transcript or certified copy of grades with grade point average and scale used – whether 4 pt. scale, 5 pt. scale, etc., class rank/size, proficiency test scores (TAKS, etc., whatever standardized testing system is used and ACT and/or SAT scores, if taken). It is very important to include all the above information so that all scholarship applicants can be evaluated on the same criteria.
- Two letters of recommendation, one from a community leader and one from a high school instructor.
- One recent photo. A professional photo is preferred, but if not available, a cell phone selfie will be accepted. This is very important for the awards ceremony!
- Video (NEW!): Please submit a video of three minutes or less of yourself describing:
- Your short- and long-term goals in life;
- Why you are pursuing your particular college degree or vocational training program;
- An achievement or an event in your life that has been especially significant.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted—they will be rejected.
The application and material must be uploaded or postmarked no later than February 19, 2021.
Once you’ve completed your video, Roseborough would be pleased to review it. Please send to her by 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 10. The scholarship packet requires DHA’s CEO to certify that your family receives housing assistance. Roseborough will provide that certification to you as well.
After the application has been certified, you will upload all documents to the Texas NAHRO Scholarship site.
Please Note! any scholarship packet that is uploaded directly without being certified will be deemed incomplete and rejected.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Chyrel E. Roseborough at 469-263-6325 or Chyrel.Roseborough@dhantx.com.